Saturday, February 26, 2011

Yarra Valley

I can't believe I've let a month pass without posting anything.  I blame late nights at work and the absolute dread I feel when faced with a computer screen at home after a 12 hour day.  Things have thankfully calmed down a bit on the work front so here I am. 

A few weeks ago we hired another car and headed out to the Yarra Valley- about an hour drive north east of Melbourne, for some wine tasting and general tiki touring.  I had been there with the girls on a weekend back in 2008 so had some favourite vineyards that I was keen to revisit. 

It was a stunning day - hot and windless.  After a couple of tastings at Rochford, we headed to Healesville for lunch in the sun at a pub (the name of which escapes me) on the main strip.  Delicious calamari salads and thirst quenching local ciders later, we hit the road again and visited a couple more wineries - Yering Station and Domain Chandon, an outpost of French champagne heavyweight Moet & Chandon.  More tastings were had (just by me at this stage, S was relegated to driving duties) and more bottles bought.

We drove a bit further down the road to Yarra Glen, a quaint little town, which we were to discover, is famous for its antique stores.  Some small, some warehouse-sized and requiring hours of fossicking for treasures.  Some really cool little finds and definitely a place to go back to.




1 comment: