Sunday, October 3, 2010

The pleasure that is mastication

Last one about the wisdom teeth (I hope)!  I had the op on Friday morning and as far as I can tell (I didn't have a debrief by the surgeon afterwards), it all went well.  I still have some numbness on the right hand side of my lower lip and chin, which could be due to a little nerve disruption... am hoping this subsides soon.  Apart from that, some pain and swelling, everything seems to be ok.

The thing I'm more bummed about is the fact that I can't really "eat" anything.  Drinking, sipping and mushing food against my palate and front teeth with my tongue before swallowing do not count as eating.  I had never realised how pleasureable and satisfying chewing is and how much I'd be craving solids.

What's preventing me taking the risk of chewing anything is the constant fear of dry socket - when the clot forming over the extraction site dislodges - apparently it's a pain you'd never want to know and goes on for days.  Getting any food in the gaping holes which I can only imagine are lurking at the back of my mouth (haven't been brave enough to investigate with my tongue yet and can't open my mouth wide enough to see anything in the mirror) isn't worth it.  See "dry socket" comment!

But I can tell you that banana custard babyfood, soup, yoghurt, jelly, mashed banana, avocado and sweet potato, even icecream are getting old fast.  Fingers crossed tomorrow is the day I can tuck into something a bit more exciting.

1 comment: