Sunday, September 26, 2010

Queen Victoria Markets

Located at the northern end of the city is my foodie Nirvana aka the Queen Vic Markets.  I'm not sure why, but on my first visit to Melbourne in 2001 I didn't pay much attention to the food part of the markets, instead focussing all my attention and sparse budget on the cheap clothing and leather-look bags in the section adjacent to the food areas.  I blame the fact that I was dating a petrol-head bogan at the time and had a decidedly unrefined, student's palate to match.

In subsequnet visits however, I have rediscovered the delights that lie within those huge green sheds.  Mouthwatering eye fillet steaks, tender racks of spring lamb, beautiful fresh whole fish, glistening fillets of fresh tuna, scallops, prawns and every other type of seafood and vibrantly coloured fresh vegetables and fruit.  A true feast for the eyes, and grumbling tummy! 

The atmosphere is an experience in itself with a cacophony of butchers, deli stall owners and fishmonger shouting out their specials (and they are amazing ones at that!), the hustle and bustle of dozens of people pulling their overflowing "granny shopping carts" (you know the material ones on 2 wheels) along and eyeing up the specials that day, and tourists snapping away at the delicious displays of cheeses, dolmas and goats feta stuffed bell peppers piled high.  The deli section is a favourite of mine being a self-diagnosed cheese addict.  The selection and smells are nothing short high-enducing!

Might have to pay another visit this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment