Wednesday, September 1, 2010

With wisdom comes teeth

Warning: this post is not for the faint of heart. 

It was our first day in Melbourne when I noticed that the gum around my lower right wisdom tooth had been a bit tender.  Ever the optimist/ostrich, I decided not to do anything about it in the hope that it was a passing phase and was due to the large amounts of stress moving countries has caused.  I was wrong. 

So the next day, waking up with a sore jaw and still worse gum, I googled some inner city dentists, closed my eyes, circled the laptop screen with my index finger and landed on a search result (as done when on a roadie and being spontaneous...).  Kidding, like I would put my mouth in the hands of a total unknown.  The dentist I did pick turned out to be great.  The not so great part is that I have an infection and was given two large injections, a clean, xray and a bill for $185 AUD and told that for the bargain price of around $450 AUD I could have the problem permanently fixed.  So with numb mouth I bought the necessary interum treatments: 1 course of Amoxycillin capsules, some Savacol anticeptic mouth rinse and what can only be described as needle-less syringe to administer aforementioned rinse after every meal.  But only for 10 days otherwise it'll stain my teeth blue.  Lovely. 

I can tell you that despite the syringe being quite easy to operate, I did get some very strange looks walking into a public bathroom with what looks like a cross between a massive dose of blue-coloured class A drug and a spearmint enema.  Delightful.  I've since gotten over my embarrassment and don't even try to conceal my weapon of local sterilisation any longer.  In fact I welcome the glances like some sort of attention-deprived child. 

And the tooth?  Impacted.  And due to be removed 12th September.  No doubt I'll post something about that as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment