Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Getting crafty

Being unemployed, I have the luxury of having large quantities of one of life's most precious assets - time.  And in an attempt to save some cash, which I unfortanately don't have as much of as I do time, and with the spring racing season coming up, I decided to have a try at making a fascinator.

These essential pieces of racing outfitry (a non-word, but it stays) can set one back upwards of $200 for a decent example so armed with a modest budget and a bright red shopping basket I gingerly entered the budget conscious shopper's utopia that is Spotlight.

The choices were immense with a whole section dedicated to making their own spring racing hats and fascinators.  There were millenery fabrics, fabric flowers, head bands, feathers in every colour imaginable, butterflies, hats etc.  I opted for a plain metal headband/alice band, some ribbon, milleners' fabric, flower and a butterfly.  I'm not sure how I've survived 28 years without a hot glue gun though.  Those things are amazing!  With a little effort and lots of glue, here's the result.



I made another for my friend, but didn't photograph that one before giving it to her.

Having had some success with the fascinators, I decided some coasters were a must (there's logic in there somewhere).  So I chose some beautiful craft paper, contact paper and some unadorned wooden coasters and got glueing.  Here are the results:





Next project: a painting for above our fireplace.

1 comment:

  1. Where's the "Like" button? Cos I want to press it! Impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete